SIDE NOTE: I’m a JQ fan. Just getting that out there before I start the review. But if I say that I am a JQ fan, I also have to say that as of late I have found myself less than satisfied with the newer books. END SIDE NOTE.
Ten Things I Love About You stared out slow for me. And by slow, I mean it took me three weeks to read it instead of the usual 2 days (2 because I do have to go to work and I can’t read there). The first 50 pages sloughed along and then, suddenly, as if by magic, the story took off and I tore through the pages with my usual glee. I’m going to take a page from Sebastian and Annabel and use lists to describe how I felt about the book.
Because I have to, THREE THINGS I DID NOT LOVE ABOUT THIS BOOK
- One time, at the very beginning, Annabel fell for a very stupid trick and I couldn’t quite get over that (although she redeemed herself nicely)
- I kept waiting for Sebastian to lose control and when he did, it was just “eh” for me
- Lord Newbury’s motivation was clearly lacking
TEN THINGS I LOVED ABOUT THIS BOOK
- Sebastian made me smile on every page
- Annabel’s “plain speaking”
- Louisa – please tell me she gets her own story!
- Lady Vickers – oh she comes through, don’t you worry!
- The lists of tens which usually turned out to be more or less than ten
- The scene in Lady Olivia’s drawing room
- Some plot points were tired plot points but the author gave them a good twist
- There was no big misunderstanding
- Turkeys and Rocks
10. Sebastian (‘nuff said – he’s adorable) (and yeah, I know he made the list twice, but he deserves it!)
Overall, Ten Things I Love About You did not disappoint. Sure the start was a little rocky, but once the plot hit a stride, it never slowed down.
Ten Things You Should Know About This Book
- Sebastian Gray is a devilishly handsome rogue with a secret.
- Annabel Winslow’s family voted her The Winslow Most Likely to Speak Her Mind AND The Winslow Most Likely to Fall Asleep in Church
- Sebastian’s uncle is the Earl of Newbury, and if he dies without siring an heir, Sebastian inherits everything.
- Lord Newbury detest Sebastian and will stop at nothing to prevent this from happening
- Lord Newbury has decided that Annabel is the answer to all his problems.
- Annabel does not want to marry Lord Newbury, especially when she finds out he once romanced her grandmother.
- Is shocking, 8 is delicious, and 9 is downright wicked, all of which lead to
10. Happily. Ever. After.
Read an excerpt. (scroll way down)